bookishwanderlove

Maybe Someday
Colleen Hoover

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Patty has read 75 books toward her goal of 140 books.
hide

His Frozen Heart

His Frozen Heart - Nancy Straight **I received an advanced copy from the author in exchange for an honest review. All quotes taken from a pre-published copy may be altered or omitted from the final version. **

4.5 swoon worthy Stars

*Originally posted on Bookish Wanderlove.*

Opening Lines
“I ran to the shadow of an enormous maple tree and crouched low to the ground. I couldn’t believe I had let Libby talk me into this. We had set our alarm clock for 2 AM, then sneaked out of my house while my parents were sound asleep.”
The minute I read the synopsis for His Frozen Heart I signed up for the blog tour. There was no way I was going to pass up the opportunity, this was my first read by Nancy Straight and it was definitely a good one. The first chapter or two left me a little hesitant in a way, I just wasn't really sure what I was getting myself into and how this story was going to be delivered, but a few more chapters in and I was hooked! I read this is one sitting, I just couldn't put it down! The suspense of it all kept me on my toes, and there was a perfect blend of romance. I really liked how Candy's and Libby's problems were realistic and ones that I believe a lot of people can somewhat relate to. Mind you, yes there were easier solutions to their problems but then we wouldn't have this amazing book now would we?

“I’m saying I didn’t know how lonely I was until you came into my life. Before you I had a frozen heart, and you were like a nitro charge.”
As much as this story is more about Candy all I cared about was Dave! Don't get me wrong I really liked Candy's character, but Dave just took my heart and he was all I cared about. He's been through so much and when we get information about his past I felt my heart break. I just wanted to hug him, hold him, and tell him everything would be okay and that he's not alone! I also have a thing for Obsessive-Compulsive characters, so that just added to the swooning! All the characters that we were introduced to played an interesting part, even if it was small. I liked that towards the end we get an update of some of the characters and their parents. It was a nice way to not leave everything hanging. The romance was beautifully written, what I liked most about it was that it didn't fall prey to the typical New-Adult romance standard. I admit this genre seems to get a lot of frowns from readers because a lot of them focus on sex, but that wasn't the case with His Frozen Heart. There was a real romance written that gradually built, yes it happened in a some-what short time span but it wasn't instal-love and it was clean!

What kept His Frozen Heart from getting 5 stars?
Really minor, hence the 4.5 Stars, but I was left with so many questions when His Frozen Heart came to an end! Then when I was first putting my review together I noticed that Amazon has it listed as a series. Well dang!! If only I knew that before hand! I was expecting this to be a standalone (I'm not complaining!) so I thought what we saw of these characters would be all we got, I wanted to know what would happen to Mark and his background. Guess I'll get my questions answered in the books to come! Fingers crossed!

Overall, His Frozen Heart was a great suspenseful read! Like I said above, this is my first Nancy Straight read but it won't be the last! This was well written, flowed, and I didn't come across any errors. Will I be continuing with the series? Yes. Would I recommend His Frozen Heart? Yes! I recommend this to anyone that looking forward a great combination of New Adult, Suspense, Mystery and clean Romance!