bookishwanderlove

Maybe Someday
Colleen Hoover

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Patty has read 75 books toward her goal of 140 books.
hide

A Night with the Bride

A Night with the Bride - Kate McKinley  photo 4c7c57e9-244a-42fb-abaf-06f54de6e038_zpse7762b12.png

When I first received this ARC back in February there was no synopsis, at all. I repeatedly checked Netgalley and Goodreads hoping one would appear; I believe a synopsis was finally posted a couple of weeks before the novella was released.

Nonetheless, I was basically going into this blind. So I picked up A Duchess in the Dark, which is the first novella in this series, to get a sense of the author’s style and a general understanding of this series. I highly enjoyed A Duchess in the Dark, my review can be found here.

I like Kate’s writing style; I found that she really gave her characters a voice. The banter between Gabriella and Nicholas was highly entertaining! Gabriella is the perfect partner for Nicholas, the fact that she is blunt and challenges him is what makes her such an intriguing character. I loved that Kate McKinley made Nicholas an individual that isn’t perfect. Nicholas has “issues” that make him a realistic fictional character that you easily come to love.

Two things slightly bothered me while reading this. The title is A Night with the Bride but Gabriella is not a bride, leaving the title to completely throw you off once you finish reading it. Secondly, this was way too short! There was so much potential to turn this into a full novel, this would allow more character development with Gabriella and Nicholas.

Overall, A Night with the Bride is an entertaining novella that I have re-read multiple times. Kate McKinley has the talent to start writing a novel instead of novellas, and hopefully there will be more to come!