bookishwanderlove

Maybe Someday
Colleen Hoover

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Patty has read 75 books toward her goal of 140 books.
hide

Uncovering Her Nine Month Secret (Harlequin Presents)

Uncovering Her Nine Month Secret (Harlequin Presents) - Jennie Lucas **This review was originally posted on my old blog on July 16th, 2014. For the full review please feel free to click here.**

** I received a copy from Harlequin via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.**

Opening Lines
"The gray, lowering sky was falling like a shroud across the old colonial city of San Miguel de Allende when I heard the words I’d feared in nightmares for the past year.”

The Good
I had a feeling this book would have great potential and I was right! I loved the plot, it was just so interesting and kept building and building! I even enjoyed the characters. Lena and Alejandro were two strong main characters and dysfunctional secondary characters Claudia and Edward all kept the story alive. The writing style was definitely my favourite part, I kept trying to tab different parts because there were just so many beautiful quotes! I’ve included a couple throughout my review.

Oleander. I Shivered a little. So beautiful to the eyes. But so poisonous to the heart.
Just like Alejandro, I thought.”

The In-Between
Title – I’m that person that expects the title to match the plot of a book, and this is one that I felt could have been named something different. The title is Uncovering Her Nine Month Secret, yet the really wasn’t MUCH of uncovering Lena’s secret, within the first chapter its solved. Now, there was another secret that seemed the be the focus of the book and I feel like the title should have had more to do with that than Lena’s.

On and Off – This book fell flat at some points closer towards the end. I felt like the same level of creativity that was used to start the book was missing when it came to finishing the book.

9 Months Ago – I would have loved if there was a chapter from nine months/a year ago when Lena and Alejandro first meet and how that night really took off for them.

Denial is a beautiful thing. A woman in love can be very good at focusing on the ode and ignoring the thorn-at last until it draws blood.”

Lasting Impression
Overall, Uncovering Her Nine Month Secret was a cute, light, and swoon worthy read! A couple of things I wish played out differently but still an enjoyable read! If you want a romance novel with an innocent heroine, a hero with a secret, and a loveable family I recommend picking this up!

You create your own future, step by step, by being brave. By doing the right thing. By telling the truth. By trying your best.”

*All quotes from eARC and may change in final edition*