bookishwanderlove

Maybe Someday
Colleen Hoover

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Patty has read 75 books toward her goal of 140 books.
hide

Apolonia

Apolonia - Jamie McGuire **Originally posted on Bookish Wanderlove.**

4.5 Stars

*ARC provided by author in exchange for an honest review.*

Opening Lines
“THEY’D KILLED ME, but I survived. While lying on the hotel floor, my long black hair saturated with blood, I’d thought my life was over, except it wasn’t.”

I've only read one other book by Jamie McGuire and its Happenstance, which is a Young-Adult, Contemporary Romance novella. From what I gathered her books are normally new adult/young-adult romance novels. So when I came across this on Goodreads I was intrigued! I read the synopsis and thought to myself "This isn't a Jamie McGuire book, Sci-Fi? Really?!" The geek in me let out a squeak of excitement. I was extremely excited and looking forward to getting my hands on Apolonia. Of course before I could even read the synopsis my eyes were glued to the cover. I love the use of colours and how distorted it looks. It has a real Science Fiction feel to it, also it reminded me of something out of ReBoot!!
“Everything that kills me
Makes me feel alive.”
—One Republic, “Counting Stars”

Just before you flip over to page one, Apolonia opens up with some lyrics from OneRepublic. So obviously I played "Counting Stars" a couple of times while reading this, okay fine, more than a couple. Apolonia had me hooked from the first page! I couldn't help but picture Rory Gilmore (Gilmore Girls) as Rory Riordan. Rory is the kind of character that makes you just want to laugh, she's sassy, a badass and 100% independent! I loved the other characters and secondary characters throughout this novel, they all brought something to the story. As much as Cy is attractive, I instantly swooned over Benji. He's just so, UGH!!! I want him.
“My heart was ramming against my rib cage, pumping gallons of blood through my body with such force. My fingers, toes, and eyes were throbbing with every beat. My mind fought to stay in the present, but the yelling and the sound of panic in Cy’s voice brought me back to the night when they’d murdered the people I loved most—including who I used to be."

Jamie McGuire does a fantastic job of keeping the story alive and not once did I find myself bored! I found this book was able to pull out a lot of different emotions out of me, there was one part where my eyes just wouldn't stop watering! I love her writing style and how descriptive Apolonia was, my imagination was running wild with this one. Overall, Apolonia was amazing!! I wish it was series because I want more...well, I don't want to spoil anything. But I want to see these characters again!