bookishwanderlove

Maybe Someday
Colleen Hoover

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Patty has read 75 books toward her goal of 140 books.
hide

Unethical

Unethical - Jennifer Blackwood *Originally posted on Bookish Wanderlove.*

**I received an advanced copy from the author in exchange for an honest review.

3.5 Stars

Opening Lines
"What did a homeless man, an AIDS victim, and a man in an
orange jumpsuit have in common?
Well, one of them was ruining my life.
I was about to find out how the other two were connected
once the professor began his lecture."

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out if I've ever read anything like Unethical before, but I don't think I have. I found Unethical to be a very unique and interesting read. I wasn't really sure what to expect when I first started this, would this be a wanna-be Grey's Anatomy? Private Practice? Nurse Jackie? Or maybe Mercy? Nope. While this is a medical drama, and boy did it have it's share of being on the dramatic side of things, I didn't find myself comparing anything to any of the previous television shows I mentioned.

I was a little worried that all the medical lingo would go completely over my head but I didn't find myself to be overwhelmed. Not only did Jennifer Blackwood do her research on the medical field but she touched on a topic that raising a lot of questions and scrutiny. I'm not going to give anything away (you'll have to read to find out) but the "scandal" with Payton's family really makes you stop and think. Which I loved because I wasn't really expecting a book that would make me reflect and second guess my views on certain things.

The romance, and Blake in general was swoon worthy! I loved the development between them and the sexual tension. But not only does Unethical focus on second-change romance, it also focuses on Payton having the opportunity at having a second-chance of living her life. As much as I liked the characters I found I spent time trying to figure out if Payton had a spilt personality. Going back and forth between being edgy and cautions to being an extreme flirt kind of gave me whip lash. I think Payton's portrayal of trying live a little could have been described better so that it didn't feel like two separate characters but one.

Overall, Unethical was an original and interesting read. I enjoyed my first medical drama and it's made me curious to see what else is out there. As an debut author, I think Jennifer Blackwood did a pretty good job. It read easily, which was extremely surprise for an ARC edition. I would have preferred a better tie up of things involving Andrew and Jules. Who knows, maybe Andrew will have his redemption in the next book? All I know is I want there to be a next book!