bookishwanderlove

Maybe Someday
Colleen Hoover

2014 Reading Challenge

2014 Reading Challenge
Patty has read 75 books toward her goal of 140 books.
hide

The Fifth Day

The Fifth Day - Kaia Bennett **Originally posted on Bookish Wanderlove.**

Opening Lines
“Justin Haas grabbed his jacket and his keys, checked his phone once more to see if his friend had gotten his calls, and then headed out the door. He was going to his standard watering hole a few blocks away, and he’d been sure Alyse would be home by now.”

I have a serious weakness for stories that revolve around friends turning into lovers, especially when they're best friends and/or have known each other since they were kids. So when I came across The Fifth Day I couldn't pass up the opportunity! Not only was this a best friends to lovers story but it has an interracial couple, WOOT!!! This is something I don't see often and that might be because I tend to read more Young-Adult novels but either way it's just not something I come across often so it makes me happy to see some diversity!

I really enjoyed the layout of the plot and how everything came together. Justin and Alyse were lovable characters that I just couldn't get enough of! And the romance between them! I love Kaia Bennett's detail of the emotions between them! But what also made this story enjoyable was how realistic it is and how easily people can relate.

However, as much as I enjoyed The Fifth Day there were some things that didn't work for me. I understand its meant to be a novella but this book had the potential to be a full novel. I felt like there was key character information missing like their age, unless I missed it we don't know how old they are, what is it that Justin does? What did Alyse use to do before she quit her job? There were also a lot of grammatical errors and sentence structures that I found to be pretty distracting while reading. And lastly, the last chapter. It's not that I didn't like how everything came to an end but I felt that going from what happens in the 2nd last chapter to the final felt very rushed.

Overall, The Fifth Day was a quick read. Great characters, romance, plot and emotions that felt so real! A perfect read for the upcoming season, I know for a fact that I'll be re-reading this again sometime soon.